… however, I hate it when I hear that this is a “career ending” move. Some people still forget that he’s 19 and if he does any type of jail time, his jail time will be minor compare to other celebrities. There’s no need to throw a tantrum, especially when both parties are resolving it behind close doors. I believe that a resolution is possible, because this is a “domestic abuse case” after all. It’s not like they are sworn enemies. But once again, this is not a “career ending” move, even if they started pulling his songs off and his ads out.
To illustrate my point, let’s take a look at some celebrities who had done worse than Chris Brown and either rebounded, their career is currently in limbo, or now questionable:
- Amy Winehouse
She’s a known crack fiend. Was banned from getting a work visa at one point. Currently, she’s a wild card.
Currently serving a six year sentence and must register as a sex offender.
- Michael Vick (Former NFL Quarterback)
Currently serving time for illegal dog fightings. Even thought he will be capable of playing when he is release later this year, no NFL team may take him back.
- Remy Ma
Currently serving 8 years for an attempted murder. By the time she is release, she will not be as hot as going in and her child will be almost an adult.
- Robert Downey, Jr.
Arrested multiple times for substance abuse. Recovered is now commanding major roles (Iron Man, Tropic Thunder)
10 years for 1st degree assult and reckless endangerment. Schedule for release in 2011. Fanbase in tact? We’ll see.
- Lil’ Kim
Served in July 2005 under a “a year and a day” sentences for lying to a grand jury about a 2001 shooting. Rebounded simply because she’s linked to Notorious B.I.G.
- R. Kelly
Was involved in a lot of legal cases, and yet, he’s doing alright for himself. Only thing he lost from it was a few fans, a stigma grew around him about underage women, and his now ex-wife.
- Da Brat
Three years behind bars, seven years of probation and 200 hours of community service Friday morning (August 22) for striking a woman in the face with a rum bottle.
So, with very little details, maybe y’all should chill the eff out with Chris Brown.
I would talk about Rihanna and this argument about letting her be a spokesperson for “domestic abuse”, but here’s my very brief answer; if Rihanna was hit 200 times during the last year by Chris Brown in a non-sexual way that she didn’t approve of, then by all means, let her at it. For an argument that got too emotional & went out of control one time? It doesn’t count. Whitney Huston, on the other hand…
Updated (2.13.09 @ 1:44 AM): I can admit when I’m wrong. I should have compare Chris Brown to people who rebounded from domestic violence not random crimes like this report did.
This was more of a “rebound” PR type post that was written before later items were reveal. So, let me clear a few things:
- Unless Rihanna was abused multiple times, I still think it’s a PR spin to make her spokesperson. There’s women who suffer from this abuse for years. There’s men who suffered from this for years, mentally as well as physically. I rather see Whitney Huston represent this because her case is documented well. Rihanna, not so much. It’s a time factor with me. Sure, she can speak on about being a victim. It’s no laughing matter.
- Note the time I published it. It was on the 11th. I wrote my post on the 10th. This was in sync to publish. Not a good idea for a time sensitive post. My bad. Also, if you might have notice, I don’t follow this story as much as the average fan would. Sure I read up about it, but I was dealing with the facts that was given at the time.
- So, why did I take this from a PR perspective? Because basically, this is what his PR is doing. I usually take a different angle on things. This is not really a media blog, but a personal blog that covers media issues.
- Keep in mind that there’s people who’s pretty much want to remain factual. They will be covering this more deeply than I will. I support listening to both sides of the story.
- There’s a photo of Rihanna surfacing on the web of her abused. But this photo was doctored. No matter what, this is a police matter and will be treated as such. Taking a quote from Fly Life Style “Per LA County rules – Brown’s mugshot will NOT be released. And per the CA Victims Protection Act, neither will pictures of Rihanna.”
- Google this story. You’ll notice that it gets weirder and weirder and weirder. Sure these are all gossip, but you gotta admit… it makes for good fiction.
This is basically my unusual way of saying “let’s keep this in perspective”. When you break it down, it’s simple… Man hurt woman. Until further information is out there, that’s what it sounds like. The blogs I referenced are maintained by women, who are just as pissed about the media coverage as I am.
I will be covering the social media aspect and how people are taking advantage of milking this story. There’s blogs that getting their shine. I’m at least trying to get you to see another point, not just mindlessly feeding you overblown crap. So, please, keep in mind… I love you people, I thank you for visiting, but these are my personal opinions and I’m not a professional blogger, nor will ever pretend to be.
In my comments, I made a statements saying Chris Brown needs to stand up and take responsibility for his actions. I stand by those comments…
… but I’m also noticing that there’s something weird about this WHOLE thing. It just don’t sit right with me. Remember, we are in the United States and what can be simple can become very, very complex.
I’m just offering my view point. And while it maybe a poorly constructed viewpoint, it’s one nevertheless. I will be revisiting the topic, but from an case study view. I DO study trends after all.
If I offend you with my viewpoint, I apologize for offending you. I won’t apologize for my viewpoint, however. But like I say, this is “thought remixer” and I can change my views at anytime. Just show me what I need to see… proof from creditable sources… the people involved.