Voting. It can help change the world, they say. It’s your right as an American, they say. It’s your American duty to help change the world by voting, they say. But what we are really doing is just change people in the office in hopes that they are smarter than us, better than us, and of course, hoping that they follow through with their promises. Keyword “hopes”. And that’s pathetic!
You have to do more than just “hope” for the best before, during and after the election. No matter who you are for, there’s one issue we can all agree on, and that’s our right to know what’s going on! But in order to do that, we have to realize a few things. and one thing:
Television is evil.
Look at all the news channels. It’s a circus. Realty TV? Don’t get me started on reality TV. Scripted shows, for the win, my friend! But seriously, if you expect “unbiased truths” from the media, then you have better luck talking to me and a crystal ball than getting the entire truth from the media.
The ironic part about this clip is that it’s from a movie that was made almost 33 years ago. All the integrity news reporters are replaced with talking heads such Bill O’Reilly, Anderson Cooper, Tucker Carlson, Jon Stewert and Steven Colbert. How do you tell what’s real and what’s been twisted? You can’t. (Well, maybe with the last two “anchors” I mention you can tell…) But it’s your responsibility as a citizen to make sure that after the election, whoever is in charge follows through with their promises. But how can you do that without giving up your life?
Simple. Here are a few things you can do to bring real change.
- Write a letter to a congress person about an issue that is important to you and why it is important.
- Start talking to people about your views. Remix their thoughts. You might inspire someone to follow through.
- Join a non-profit group who’s looking out for your best interest. They are paid to follow through for you. But make sure to do your research.
- When you think something isn’t going right, do more than be a talking head, take action! Make sure to follow up with the proper people and put them in their place. Call up your congressman who voted wrong, a person who isn’t doing their job for that non-profit.
- Research. The things that matters to you will never be served to you. By taking the time to look into matters and educate others, you’ll be in a better position.
What if you don’t have an issue to fight for? Then look at these issues I think that would inspire you.
- Voting Reform – Reform voting so that it will be a fair and accurate count.
- Media & Press Reform – Hold news organizations accountable and make the media landscape more devise. Freepress.net can help you with these issues.
- Net neutrality – Keeping the Internet free from restrictions. Google created a simple guide to this complex matter. Freepress.net also look into this matter as well.
- Internet Access for Everyone – I personally used to fight for the Internet to be in the High School of the Virgin Islands. Now, I’m fighting for the Internet to be in everyone’s hands. The Internet is now as important food, shelter and clothing.
So, I hope these small ideas can help you bring “change you can believe it.”
I’m Nukirk Digi.tal and I approved this message!